About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Interactive Laboratory Activities

As though I feel like I just began student teaching, this week marks a closing of one journey in my life. This week I concluded teaching most of my classes. As I finish out my student teaching this week, I will only be teaching one class. As I finished teaching my classes this week, I realized just how much I love teaching at Kennard-Dale and how much I love my students and staff here.

This week I conducted one of my favorite labs so far. This week in my poultry class, to conclude our unit, my students conducted an egg grading laboratory activity. This was one of my favorite lab activities because I felt as though my students really gained knowledge and understanding through this activity. At each station my students had to use their knowledge of quality grades and analyze various eggs and give them a grade. At one station, I talked shared with my students the grading process of hatching eggs. This fit perfectly in our unit as we just received hatching eggs that are in our incubator and we will be hatching them in 21 days. I connected with outside resources and was able to get a flat of 'unfit' hatching eggs from a local poultry farm. Because I had tangible eggs and could give my students actual eggs to grade I felt as though they had a greater experience and it actually 'came to life' for them.

In addition, I had one station in which my students had to grade 4 eggs based on their exterior quality as well as their interior quality. This allowed my students to really look at the eggs, and apply their knowledge that we learned from class to this activity. I was in the moment of teaching at my station I forgot to get a picture of the experience, but if you get a chance check out a 'rubber egg'. I had 3 rubber eggs and my students were amazed by these eggs. (a great egg to grade and talk about the development of eggs)

Also this week my students in Veterinary Science concluded a unit on the respiratory system. My students gave presentations on respiratory diseases as well as created a diaphragm model, using various lab resources. This was also a great lab that allowed my students to demonstrate their understanding of the respiratory system.

Also, one last excitement to share. My students are working so hard with our landscape design and the anticipation I have for the design to be complete is unreal. We have a completed design outline and now my students are adding in their planting materials. We have met with our Assistant Superintendent to discuss when the design will be started and we are continuing to work on gaining funds for our design implementation. My students had the great opportunity to interact with a local landscape architect to create a sound design.


Amazing things are happening at Kennard-Dale and I am excited to see the growth continue at Kennard-Dale. As my time comes to an end at Kennard-Dale, I am beyond thankful for this journey, and for the blessings I have gained each day of my student teaching experience.

~Ms. Timmons

"I'm blessed with everything I need. I am working hard towards everything I want. And most of all I appreciate and Thank God for what I have."

1 comment: