About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, April 22, 2016

A Veterinarian in Training

One of my favorite components of agricultural education is SAE. I love when our students have the opportunity to take their knowledge beyond the classroom and apply it to their lives. I especially love when knowledge and passions come together and our students are learning while they are having fun.

On March 11, 2016 Ms. Smith and I had the opportunity to visit our student, Lydia at her placement SAE. Lydia works with a local small animal veterinarian in Stewartstown, Pennsylvania. When Lydia first began her placement a few months ago, we were all so excited for her because her future plans include becoming a large and small veterinarian.

On our visit Lydia showed Ms. Smith and I around the hospital and mind you this was during business hours, so there were numerous furry friends in the building. Lydia showed us the patient rooms, the surgery room, various laboratory equipment including microscopes, and x-ray machines.


While we were on our visit Lydia demonstrated how a veterinarian can test samples to determine if an animal has any infections that need to be cared for.


We also had the opportunity to talk to the head veterinarian at the clinic. She gave Ms. Smith and I great news of Lydia learning and gaining veterinarian skills while working at the hospital. Lydia takes the vitals of the animals and is continuing to gain confidence in other procedures that a veterinarian must conduct.

Lydia is a great student of ours, and she is very dedicated to becoming a veterinarian. Ms. Smith and I were proud to see Lydia growing in her experience and learning numerous procedures a veterinarian must conduct each day. As this is still early in her experience Lydia has many opportunities to grow and gain responsibilities at the vet hospital. I look forward to checking in on her again and seeing all the progress she is making during her placement.

~Ms. Timmons

1 comment:

  1. SAE visits might be our most powerful instructional tool! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete