About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, April 8, 2016

A Career and Passion Coming Together

Every day spent at Kennard-Dale is one of the greatest blessings of my life. This week offered a new blessing, a continued desire to lead, and to chase this crazy dream of teaching Ag. This week Ms. Smith and I took advantage of a great opportunity in growing as agricultural educators. On Monday, Ms. Smith and I accompanied our Assistant Superintendent, our department leader, and our co-teacher, as well as a few other individuals to visit North Harford High School, in Pylesville Maryland (which is only 15 minutes from our school).

The purpose of our visit was to explore an amazing, fully functioning Agricultural Science CTE Magnet program operating at it's fullest potential. This opportunity offered many ideas and gave us both great inspirations for Kennard-Dale as well as for my dream program.


North Harford CTE Magnet Program is a program that students must apply and be accepted in to. The program offers many three main passage ways for students to engage in agricultural activities. Students may choose between animal science, plant science, and natural resources. Regardless of what pathway students choose to take when they enter the program in 9th grade, they will all complete the program in 12th grade with a capstone research project.

Some opportunities that the program offers include a fully student driven and functional barn and livestock operation. At the school in the barn facilities, students take care of sheep, cattle, pigs and piglets, as well as rabbits and one llama. The amazing part of this, is the fact that it is all student driven. The students conduct all operations on the farm from cleaning stalls in the barn to castration and artificial insemination of their pigs. Their facility demonstrates amazing hands on activities and experiences for students.
My favorite part of the program was their plant science component. And if you know me, you know Ms. Timmons loves horticulture and any component of plant science. Plant science is my favorite agricultural entity. I LOVE LOVE LOVE, being able to plant a seed, cultivate and maintain it's life and reap the benefits of its growth at the end of its life cycle.

Currently the program has one greenhouse that is filled with 2 hydroponic systems as well as numerous annuals that have been started in their greenhouse and are growing in various planting containers.

In addition to their greenhouse, students at North Harford, plant vegetable in a terrace right outside their classroom. These vegetable are planted, grown, harvested, and cleaned by students in the horticulture class. The vegetables are then offered to the school cafeteria to be served through the lunch service. This is amazing!! I could hardly contain the excitement I had just seeing all these dang plants!! It's awesome!

Seeing this program and realizing how critical experiential learning is for our students, allowed me to walk away from North Harford with great inspirations and an even greater dream to fulfill.
I can't wait to have a horticulture program in which my students will use our greenhouse to plant flowers for annual flower sales hosted by our FFA. We will grow Poinsettia's and make wreaths for Christmas to offer to our community. We will also grow vegetables all year with our hydroponic system. In addition, my program will have raised garden beds outside to grow vegetables and flowers in. We will harvest our flowers and vegetable and offer them to those in need in our community.

In addition to our edible plant production, my future landscape students will design a space in which community members, students and facility may gather around our school and encompass the beauty of life through the use of ornamental planting materials.

My 'ideal' future agricultural program will serve our community through the use of our hands and the soil beneath our feet. My students will be difference makers, as they reach a helping hand to other. My students will be our leaders of tomorrow.

Mostly, my students will learn the importance of life, and how we must continue to learn to grow.

~Ms. Timmons

"It's a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together"

1 comment: