About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, April 1, 2016

For the Love of Horses

On March 2, 2016 Miss Smith and I got to visit one of our students and explore her Supervised Agricultural Experience. Miss Smith and I visited our student Sarah and her 7 horses. As soon as we arrived, I saw Sarah brushing one of her horses, waiting for us to get there. I could tell in that minute that Sarah has a genuine love for her horses. Sarah has 7 horses that she feeds and cares for at her home.

Now, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to horses so I had lots of questions to ask Sarah and thankfully she was the right person to ask.

Sarah shared with me the rations that she feeds her horses and the fact that she gets up before school to go our to the barn and feed the horses before she comes to school and then feeds them in the evening when she gets home.

The best part about Sarah and her SAE is that she not only rides her horses for leisure, but she actually competes with her horses. It excites me to say that Sarah barrel races with her horses and competes in various horse races. This astounds me, that one of our students competes at high levels with her horses.

Sarah discussed with Miss Smith and I all the events that she has won with each of her horses and how she is gearing up for another season very soon. Sarah's mom has dreams for Sarah to become a professional barrel racer (that would be awesome)!!!

We also got to see the arena that Sarah has at her house that she uses to practice and train in. She told many stories of the dirt that she has tasted a few times from the arena, but was always willing to jump back in the saddle and keep racing.

Sarah is great at keeping her records in AET. When Miss Smith offers SAE work days after school, Sarah is often there to up date her AET records. Sarah is a great example of dedication and passion and I am so thankful to have been able to share in an opportunity of meeting Sarah and hearing her story! I hope to be able to see her and her horses competing the near future.

"She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them." -Anonymous

~Ms. Timmons

1 comment:

  1. Looks like there were some problems on the horse pictures!

    ReplyDelete