About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Second National #TeachAgChat- Technology in Ag Education

I feel privileged to have been able to participate in a national twitter chat.

Twitter is still new to me, so I am still learning the basics of how to tweet, use hashtags, and interact with others. And after participating in this national #TeachAgChat I have gained a greater understanding and appreciation for Twitter.

Olivia, Janae and myself held our #TeachAgChat on October 22, 2015. My peers and I discussed the opportunities and challenges with technology regarding School-Based Agriculture Education. I was very excited about our topic because I feel it is very relevant in our 21st century classrooms. Also I think it is a topic of which more and more educators are leading towards and or want to learn more about.

Our chat consisted of 9 questions, with a few sub-questions in between.


We invited other agriculture teachers in PA and beyond, our Penn State technology expert, and other educational guru's to participate in our #TeachAgChat.

3 Thoughts I had after participating in our #TeachAgChat

1. It is FAST!!!! I have participated in a twitter chat before and was surprised at how fast everything goes, however actually conducting the chat, time went even faster. At times I felt very overwhelmed. I found it very difficult to keep up with all the questions and try to interact with each participant as well. Sometimes I would get lost in the twitter feed because it was all happening so fast.

2. Preparation is key! Preparation is important for pretty much everything, especially engaging in a twitter chat. I felt as though my peers and I were prepared in which we took time to create meaningful in depth questions in advance. However, I feel as though we lacked preparation in which we did not invite as many participants as we would have liked to.

3. Informative!! I thoroughly enjoyed our twitter chat as well as other chats that I have engaged in. I have gained so much knowledge and insight just from listening to other educators answer questions and give their insight or thoughts on how they operate their Ag classroom. As a pre-service educator I have gained many ideas and elements that I would like to incorporate in my Ag classroom.

I am very thankful to have been able to participate in and conduct a national #TeachAgChat. I have gained great information as well as developed a PLN with other agricultural educators. I look forward to continue to grow and interact through twitter.


"You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be"-Marianne Williamson

~Ms. Timmons

No comments:

Post a Comment