About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Possible Solution to the Problem

Problem solving is stressful for me. I like having all the answers right in front of me.

However, this is not realistic. There are many problems to be solved in every day life. In 412 Teaching Methods lab this week, I taught a lesson in which required my students to engage their problem solving skills.

I conducted my lesson on a milk tasting lab exercise. Within this lab my students had to use their problem solving skills to identify 4 flavor defects in milk.

To begin my lesson I had my students drink a glass of their favorite milk (chocolate or white). As they drank their milk we discussed the flavors, texture, and smell of their milk they were consuming. We then transitioned into how that milk was good tasting, what could bad milk look, smell, and taste like?

I created 4 stations. At each station was a scenario card and a sample of milk. The scenario described the milk sample (an accommodation for students who may be lactose intolerant). The students were given a lab worksheet and asked to write the station number under the flavor defect that they identified. Once students rotated through the stations we identified the four flavor defects and then discussed possible causes of the flavor defect as well as possible prevention tactics.

As I reflect on my own feelings and my peers comments I have identified 3 positive points of my lab and 3 areas that I will improve on.

Positive Points:
  1. I feel I created a good lab experience. I feel that this lab was interactive and enjoyable. I think it allowed my students to use problem solving skills to identify the flavor defect.
  2. I feel as though I handled gave clear instructions as to what I expected my students to do as they went to each station.
  3. I think I interacted with each student well, in which I had each student identify a flavor defect and then read the scenario for that defect.
Points of Improvement:
  1. I need to allow/encourage my students to think at higher levels. I feel as though I played the situation down very low and did not give my students enough of a challenge.
  2. I need to allow my students to take ownership of the problem. I guided and 'spoon fed' my students throughout the whole problem solving process.
  3. I need to work on the organization and structure of creating problem solving approaches.

I feel relieved that I was able to get through this lab with relative ease. I'm satisfied with my presentation, however I will make improvements for next time.

~Ms. Timmons

"I will walk by faith even when I can not see"- 2 Corinthians 5:7

1 comment:

  1. Jenna - it has been so awesome watching you improve each week in lab! I could tell you really thought through this lab and would absolutely agree with you, you do a great job at interacting with your students (even the difficult ones!) When talking about PBL, I would challenge you with the same struggle I had with my lesson - work to create a very defined felt need for the problem so that then the students understand that they're working for a solution, not just an answer to a question. Keep rocking it out sister, you're going to do great things!

    ReplyDelete