About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Planning for Units of Success

Planning is the key!! This is the best advise I will every be able to give any young teacher. I am learning the value of planning each and every day as I prepare to student teach in the spring.

The idea of planning a whole unit of study scared me. I felt like I did not know where to even start. However, once I sat down opened my textbook for the course I was planning, it all began to fall into place.

Before I began my Dairy Science unit plan, I knew that this unit was planned to be covered in 4 weeks. Therefore, I needed to create a  unit plan which would be composed of 20 lessons/class sessions. This was a little overwhelming.

As I began my objectives for my unit plan were very vague. As I worked my way through reading the textbook, I found key areas of content that I felt would be important for my students to learn. So once I identified what I wanted to teach, I then identified the objective that I wanted them to gain from each section. I also knew that I wanted to incorporate a few lab exercises with milk and cheese, since after all this is a dairy unit.

I felt confident as I created my unit plan. I felt that my unit as whole was effective in capturing the importance of studying dairy science. Furthermore, as I established each lesson I felt good about my ability to chunk the material and divide all my content up into cohesive meaningful lessons.

Based on my peer feedback, I still feel confident with my ability to create a lesson plan. I am pleased with the feedback I received and I look forward to create the remaining 16 unit plans.

A few areas that I plan to improve for next time include addressing my academic and benchmark standards. I am still a little unfamiliar with these standards and how to properly implement them, so for future unit plans I want to devote more time to using them effectively.

Also I need to create a point of clarity when I state there will be a quiz. I need to emphasize in which lesson the quiz will be occurring and when it will be taken

Overall, I am very happy with my first unit plan and I feel confident as I embrace create the remaining unit plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment