About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Monday, October 5, 2015

A day as an FFA Secretary - Fall Leadership Conference

"Stationed by the ear of corn"
"I keep an accurate record of all meetings and correspond with other secretaries wherever corn is grown and FFA members meet." (the FFA Secretaries opening ceremony lines)


Before today, I unfortunately did not know the opening ceremony lines of an FFA Secretary. As I prepared to facilitate the Secretaries workshop today at the Fall Leadership Conference, I found myself needing to learn all the objectives I was planning for my students to learn. The first objective being able to recite the Secretaries opening ceremony lines with 100% accuracy. (I as well as my students fulfilled that objective today).

Today was a GREAT day!! I feel very confident about the learning and facilitation that occurred today. (I'm so happy with how today went that I wanted to write this blog tonight).

I will just share a few of my favorite highlights from todays lesson.

One of our first activities completed (after bell work, a get to know you activity and the interest approach was conducted) involved the students breaking up into groups based on a colored napkin(red, blue, yellow, or purple) that they received as they entered the workshop.

Once in groups, they were asked to document on a piece of paper their thoughts of the word "Secretary". What comes to their mind when they hear that word? It could be related to FFA or just in general every day life, what does that word mean to them?

One of my favorite answers I heard was "little old ladies typing away"-I mean yeah I totally could see that.

We went around the room and shared and then I got to share with them, what I think of when I hear that word. I think of an office secretary. Someone who has a small desk in front of a large office building. One who is responsible for contacting others, scheduling events, and most importantly taking coffee, and lunch orders of others in the office.

So, luckily for my 21 Secretaries I baked them chocolate chip cookies over the weekend and shared them at this time, to emphasis my thoughts of the word 'secretary'. This was the added 'Ms. Timmons' portion of the lesson plan (because I love to cook and bake...fun fact). Also, I think it was a turning point in waking my students up and creating a more comfortable environment. (I mean what high school student turns away food??).

(Photo by Laura Rice)

Then I transitioned into how the cookies are made up of many ingredients just like the Secretary position is made up of many different roles and duties. Without fulfilling all the roles/duties a Secretary position is not adequately fulfilled. We then continued in to activities talking about 6 roles/duties a secretary should fulfill.

Fast forward to later on in our workshop we completed my other favorite portion of the lesson. As Secretaries, one of their roles is to correspond with others. One way of correspondence in this modern world is through social media. So I created a big white social media post-it for each of the 4 groups.

 
On the Post-it was a Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter icon. The instructions for the activity was that each group ( a pretend FFA Chapter) was to create an FFA event. They needed to establish a name, date, time, location, theme, etc. for this event. Once they created the event they were to correspond through the 3 forms of social media and invite others to their FFA event. I felt this was a great way to connect the students to the role of 'correspondence' and make it realistic for them as well. The end result was great! During the activity there was a lot of enthusiasm, and engagement.
 
 
I enjoyed putting my social media skills to the test, by "liking and retweeting their posts".  Such a fun time to interact with the students as well. We went around the room to each group and shared about our upcoming event and how the social media platforms help convey our events through corresponding with others.


 
Overall, it was a great workshop! We had additional activities throughout our lesson to encompass the role of creating and posting an agenda and minutes report. We conducted a tower of Agenda elements. A racing puzzle match, and we also took time to work on our correspondence skills through writing a Thank You note to our Agriculture teachers. This was designed to help students communicate effectively and with appreciation.
 
 
Some areas of improvement for next time, would be to communicate better with co-facilitators and prepare more effectively as a facilitation team. Also, the teaching of agenda and minutes reports was a little dry and rough. A refinement of purpose for activity could improve that.
 
Positive notes from today include being comfortable in front of a group of students. I felt very confident in my teacher skills today. Also, the feedback that I received today was so encouraging. Some of our students took selfies and pictures throughout the workshop and have been tweeting at me and posting their appreciation for all that they learned today (and the cookies) and enjoyed about the Secretary workshop. The environment in our workshop was fun, light hearted and positive. I feel so encouraged and so excited and passionate about a future in Agricultural Education! Today was an Awesome day!!
 
~Ms. Timmons
 
"You have filled my heart with greater joy"-Psalm 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment