About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, September 18, 2015

My thoughts on Learning Objectives and Teaching in Groups

"When teachers fail to provide objectives at the beginning of class, students have not received the important pre-directional mind set that is necessary for learning." - M. Susie Whittington


Upon my completion of this weeks reading assignment, I now have a greater understanding and appreciation of the above conclusion from Ms. Whittington. After reading 'Writing Objectives in Secondary Agriculture Courses that Challenge Students to Think' I realized that our learning objectives that we as educators create for each lesson, are very critical to the formation of learning.

As the example used in the text, learning objectives are a road map for where we are going during each lesson. I don't know about each one of you, but when I am going somewhere, I'd like to have a destination in mind and a clear concise idea as to what roads I will be traveling to get there.



Learning objectives our our roads that lead to our destination for each lesson. As educators, I believe each one of us share a goal of wanting our students to succeed and reach their 'destinations' each and every day. Therefore, it is necessary that we convey to our students the roads that we will be traveling down in order to get there.

I like to think of this concept as completing an obstacle course. As an educator, I want to challenge my students to ensure they reach their greatest potential. I can choose to start them at the starting line with a blindfold covering their eyes and ask them to go and complete the course, or I could have them start at the finish line with their eyes open, observing the routes of navigation through the course.

With this analogy in mind, I think learning objectives are the same as having students complete the course with their eyes open. They will be able to understand why I am detouring this way, and why these two paths connect to each other to bring us to our final finish line.

Now that I have a greater understanding of learning objectives, I will think of them differently and more importantly. Knowing they are the navigational tools I will use to make sure my students and I both embark on roads that lead to our end destination.


"Pick me, pick me, I want to be in your group!"

According to Groseta and Myers, learners who work together in small groups develop a wide range of social skills which will enable each one of them to work well inside and outside of the classroom.

One instance where students may work in small groups is when a group is assigned a large topic to present on. Having students grouped together allows for more minds and perspectives to combine and create a solid cohesive project. Also according to the article 'Using Cooperative Learning in Formal and Nonformal Education' students who are assigned groups engage in a higher-level of reasoning strategy knowing they will have to present and convey their thought to the class.

Also, I found it interesting and I agree that when assigning learners to groups, the educator should try to create a heterogeneous groups. The reasoning for this is to ensure that each member brings a different taste of learning to the table. Because of their different learning styles, a group of various individual learners will reach an effective level of cooperative learning.
As an educator, I will incorporate cooperative learning through group activities with my students. 


Collaborative Learning is flourishing at The College Preparatory School, in Oakland California. Students engage in group conversations, activities, and discussions, to find that some of their most valuable resources are sitting right beside them. This is a great example of Collaborative learning and how to engage all students in a group. Check it out below!


1 comment:

  1. Well Done Ms. Timmons.

    I am huge fan of Dr. Whittingon :), You might notice that not only is she a co-author of your Methods Text, but she was also the graduate adviser of both Dr. Ewing and myself!

    Df

    ReplyDelete