About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

First Day of School - Reflective Post

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"- Lao Tso

I think the first day of school sets the foundation for the entire school year. On the first day of school the students decide their fate for the year. They decide if they are going to enjoy the course or hate it, they decide if they will respect the teacher or not, they decide if they will come back tomorrow to learn or not. There are many choices to be made during the first day of school.

As an educator, I think we have the ability to control the fate our student's decisions. It is up to us, as educators to make the first day of school exciting. It is up to me to ensure that my students WANT to come to class tomorrow and every day for the next thirty six weeks. It is my responsibility to gain student's respect the first day. It is up to me, to share my passion, and enthusiasm for agriculture on that first day. It is up to me to ensure that the learning process will begin for each one of my students on that first day of school, and it will never ever end!

This week in my AEE 412 Methods of Teaching Agriculture class, my peers and I each conducted a "First Day of School" lab experience.  Our objectives for this lab exercise was to convey our classroom management tactics with our students. We were each given approximately 10-15 minutes to 'teach' our first day of school.

As I began to prepare for this lab, the idea of having my own first day of school to prepare for became realistic.

For this lab exercise, I decided to create a first day of school lesson for my Horticulture 2 course. My objective for our first day was to learn "Who are we?" and "How are we all going to work together to make this an enjoyable course?"

As my 4 students (my peers) entered my classroom, I greeted them at the door and happily welcomed them to our class. I feel it is very important to engage with our students immediately. I want them to know that I am here for them. They are the reason I have a  job, so i want to interact with them as much as possible.

As my students found their seats, they found their bell work on their desks. Each student had a Ziploc bag with 6 different colored M&M's inside of it. Along with the M&M's was a note card giving them directions to complete their bell work.



 Each M&M asked the students to write something about themselves. This way our bell work activity to get to know each other. After my students were done answering each color's question we went around them room and shared our answers. I participated as well, to ensure my students got to know me as well.

For example: Blue- 3 things you like to do (hobbies/activities)
Miss Timmons' answers- 1. I like to cook/bake. I love being in the kitchen trying new recipes. 2. I love being outdoors. I love to hunt, fish, hike, bike ride, etc. 3. I love to read. When if ever I have spare time, I love to relax with reading a good book.

I enjoyed this activity as I felt my students did too. I think this was a creative engaging way for us to learn about each other.

We then transitioned into how we are all going to work together to make our class fun and successful. In order to do this, we began to identify my classroom management practices. We started with my 3 expectations for success.

Around the room, I set up three stations. One station for each expectation. At each station, students found a pictures that depicted the expectation phrase. I asked the students to go to each station as a class and write down what expectation the pictures were depicting.


Once the students were finished we went over each expectation and what it might mean to the students and then I shared with them what it means to me and how I expect them to meet these expectations. 

I felt this was a great activity to engage my students and get them out of their seats. Also I felt the pictures were a great visual modalitity tool, and an accommodation to reach all learners. 

After we discussed each one of these, my 15 minutes was about over and it was time for me to conclude my lab exercise. 

To review I asked each student to either say something they learned about another student and or go around the room and recite each students name accurately. We then reviewed our 3 expectations for success one more time and ended our class period with a 'see you tomorrow'. 

I felt very confident with my first day of school lesson. I enjoy making creative activities and engaging my students as much as possible, and I feel that is a great, powerful way for them to learn.

After my own reflection and my suggestions from my peers I have identified some areas of improvement for next time. I need to remember that bell work should be very quick. It is the work the students will complete before the late bell (class is starting) rings. So for next time I may create a smaller activity. Secondly, I need to improve on my transition and filler words. I think sometimes this is a reflection of my preparation. I honestly, did not rehearse this lab so I just went with the words that came to my head. If I prepared more, I feel I would have put more thought into how I was going to transition. Thirdly, I need to show more energy. I understand that my students can see my passion and personality through my voice however, I need to find more ways to show my energy and be enthusiastic.  

Overall, I feel this was a good lab experience. I felt very confident and proud of myself upon its completion. I will continue to work hard and become the best teacher I can possibly be!

~Miss Timmons


"Whatever you do work at it with all you heart" -Colossians 3:23 


7 comments:

  1. You, my friend are fabulous. I was incredibly proud of you during lab! I am confident that you will succeed at Kennard Dale! Keep pushing to be the best version of Ms. Timmons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had seen this lab, seems like you did a great job! I definitely want to "steal" your bellwork for future use. Love that you got everyone comfortable. I think if it had been done with high school students it would've went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bellwork was an awesome idea for an activity to learn everyone's interests and hobbies though! Plus those M&M's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, I enjoyed your lesson as I sat in as one of your students! Your personality shines through your teaching and I could feel that you were going to be a fun, but stern teacher! For not preparing much before the lab, I thought that you sounded very good and that you worked well on the fly! I believe that being able to think on the go is something that makes a great teacher, maybe this is good practice and something to consider? I liked your interest approach and I also thought that your bellwork went very well! Great ideas in this lesson!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, I enjoyed your lesson as I sat in as one of your students! Your personality shines through your teaching and I could feel that you were going to be a fun, but stern teacher! For not preparing much before the lab, I thought that you sounded very good and that you worked well on the fly! I believe that being able to think on the go is something that makes a great teacher, maybe this is good practice and something to consider? I liked your interest approach and I also thought that your bellwork went very well! Great ideas in this lesson!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna! It was such a joy to watch your video! I think that you did a fabulous job of setting that stage for students to know what to expect for the year. Your activities were very creative and I also think you effectively set the tone for a fun classroom where students are respected and cared for. I really enjoyed how you said that student success is important to you. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really thought the color coding of questions for the bell work was a really neat idea, and you did a great job on presenting the classroom procedures and expectations. As an idea for improvement, I would change the "Bee"'s so that each one was different and would require more thought/challenge...
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete