About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Engaging Instruction...Say What?

How do we, as educators, make instruction fun and engaging for our students?

Well, as a preservice teacher I am asking myself this question. As I prepare to enter a classroom of new faces, I am asking myself how I am going to make a difference at my cooperating school? What am I going to bring to Kennard Dale that is special? What am I going to do to make my students enjoy agricultural education?

Reflecting on this week, I believe I found the answer to my questions. I need to engage my students in every avenue of education. From the very first day I walk in the door, to the day I say goodbye, I need to fully engage my students in each lesson I teach. I want my students to constantly wonder "what are we going to do tomorrow?"' or "when do we get to do this?".

In order to create an intriguing experience for my students I need to do a lot of planning. I have learned very quickly that planning is the key to teaching.

Throughout the next few weeks I will be planning units and lessons for my teaching experience. As I plan, I am determined to create strong, profound instructional objectives. I feel there needs to be a reason behind why I am asking my students to learn each lesson. Also, I believe if I create objectives that are active and convey student involvement, my students will be eager to learn.

In connection to creating intriguing objectives for each lesson, I am striving to create bold, memorable interest approaches. When my students walk in my classroom, I want them to wonder "what in the world we are learning today?".

I think a great interest approach is one that captures student's attention and begins to have them think. I believe, as an educator, it is our job to get our students excited to learn. I need to make lessons that make my students crave to learn more.

Some interest approaches that I plan to incorporate include, beginning my poultry lesson with the chicken dance. Handing each of my students a flower as they enter our floriculture class. I will begin my digestion unit by having my student reach into a box filled with a variety of gooey objects.

However, I will strive to maintain my students engagement throughout the entire class period. I believe I can do this through incorporating various instructional practices. I hope to incorporate a lot of hands on activities and give my students as many opportunities to make learning relevant to them.

Some examples of activities I plan to share with my students include conducting a milk tasting lab in our Dairy science unit. Also, in our floriculture unit I will take my students on a scavenger hunt to identify various types of flowers outside our school. And we will create edible arrangements as we define the essential principles of floral design.

For additional ideas on student engagement please refer to the Actively Engage Students Using Hands-on & Minds-on Instruction article, which can be found by following this link:
http://www.teachhub.com/actively-engage-students-using-hands-minds-instruction

I believe instructional engagement is essential for student growth and development through learning. If we want students to enjoy learning than we as educators need to make it enjoyable and relevant to each of our students. Active student involvement through activities, interest approaches, and instructional practices will create a positive environment for student learning. 

Happy planning!
Jenna

"Be the light"-Matthew 5:14




1 comment:

  1. Jenna,

    Thank you for sharing!

    Couple of Thoughts:

    1) I had a hard time reading this one due to the background? Think about the graphical implications
    2) Be sure to evidence external source or the reading sources to show that you are doing the reading!
    3) Include pictures or videos...they are SUPER powerful

    DF

    ReplyDelete