About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Creating an Interest for Learning Content Material

An interest approach is a way of getting students excited and interested in learning about content material. One may approach this concept in many ways. Demonstrations, experiments, activities, and video clips are a few examples of ways to capture our students attention and allow them inquire about the learning that is to follow.


I love interest approaches. I think they are key to having a great lesson each day. As a teacher I can create and plan the best lesson. However, if I do not capture and engage my students in learning at the beginning of class, my perfect lesson will be ineffective. My students may not be mentally and/or physically prepared for the learning that is occurring. 

As I reflect on my interest approach that I conducted in AEE 412 today, I am frustrated with myself. I feel as though I could have done so much better.  I could have chosen a different interest approach to engage my students more and get them more excited for learning. 

I created a gallery walk as my interest approach for the beginning lesson of my dairy science unit. Our first lesson was on milk production in the United States and our daily consumption of milk products. 


I created 3 stations around that room. A bag was placed at each station with one object inside. In the first bag at station one was an empty container of Yogurt. At station two, students found an envelope of 'garlic alfredo noodles', and lastly at station three students, found an empty cheese pizza box. 

Students were instructed to walk silently to each station, observe their findings, and make note of any similarities or commonalities they may notice among the three objects. Once students finished the gallery walk, we discussed the objects found in each bag and identified their commonalities as all three being milk products.

Based on my own reflect and my peer reflection, I feel as though I could have created a better interest approach. I feel the activity could have been more engaging and enjoyable. I also was frustrated with my articulation of instruction. 

Looking ahead, as I continue to create interest approaches for each of my lessons, I will make interest approaches that actually are fun and get my students excited for our lesson. In addition, I need to continue to work on more clarity of instruction. I feel as though sometimes I give to many instructions, that students may be more confused than informed. 

On a positive note, I felt I moved around the classroom more this week, and I continue to feel confident and comfortable in front of the classroom. 

Overall, I will fine tune my ability to create interest approaches. They are very important to me as an educator, and I enjoy them. I trust with more practice, preparation, and planning I will become successful and pleased with my ability to implement amazing interest approaches for each and every lesson!

~Ms. Timmons



"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong."- Ella Fitzgerald

5 comments:

  1. Jenna, you had great command of the class and showed confidence in your presence. I am very proud of you! The mastery of clear instructions takes time! Being cognizant of it is the first step! The simplest interest approach can spark interest by asking thought provoking questions, creating a felt need, and relating it back to students' lives. You are doing great work! Keep it up!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, I enjoyed watching you teach as well as reading your personal thoughts about the class. I thought you created a interest approach that was appropriate for the lesson you were teaching. Your pace of speech and clarity was great in my opinion. I think if you own the stage and what you are performing on it your confidence and comfortability will shine through. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    Interest approaches are not all glamorous and high energy, it's all about making that felt need in your student to want to learn more. I think that this interest approach sounds very interesting and thought provoking! It is good to get students up and walking, and by working alone, they were forced to really be thinking about how the items connected.
    We are often our own worst critics, don't beat yourself up. We are all learning, and I truly believe that this is a good idea!
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think that you should be ashamed of your interest approach! It was a good first attempt and I think that it is a good idea, just could use a little work! You are a pleasure to have in the same lab and you have good control over the lab! You also seem very comfortable in front of the classroom and you show excitement for your work! I would look forward to your next class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not think that you should be ashamed of your interest approach! It was a good first attempt and I think that it is a good idea, just could use a little work! You are a pleasure to have in the same lab and you have good control over the lab! You also seem very comfortable in front of the classroom and you show excitement for your work! I would look forward to your next class!

    ReplyDelete