About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, March 18, 2016

The Busy Life of an Agricultural Teacher

Another busy week completed at Kennard-Dale High School. Another week of loving what I get to do each day with Ms. Smith and our students.

This week held a lot of events for the Kennard-Dale Agricultural program. I'm learning how to adapt and move on my feet as I continue through my teaching experience. On Tuesday, our power at school went out during first period. I had to learn how to teach my second period, Vet Science class with no power. I am so thankful to have power on a daily basis. Because of the power outage, students were dismissed early. Ms. Smith and I spent the rest of our day preparing for the upcoming week and getting materials for our teacher appreciation day on Wednesday.

Wednesday offered a very, very busy day. During our Animal Care and Management classes, a student of ours, Lydia, prepared her Teach Ag Essay Contest lesson and she presented her lesson to our two classes. Lydia taught our students about swine nutrition. Lydia has raised swine for the past 8 years, so she is basically our class expert. It was great  for me to work with Lydia to help her prepare her lesson plan and materials as well as be the "teacher" in the front of the classroom. Lydia did an excellent job with her lesson! She provided our students with notes and a presentation on various nutrition based on a swine's stage in life. She then conducted a feed tag activity using real feed tag labels. Overall, I was so proud of Lydia for her ability to teach an impactful, yet educational lesson to our students.

Also on Wednesday my studets in Horticulture II had a guest speaker visit our class and give us some guidance on our landscape design.
We invited a local landscape architect to help us create a design for our school courtyard. I as well as our students gained valuable insight from our guest and we will be having Ms. Yost visit us again in a few weeks to help us continue through implementation of our landscape design.

By Wednesday afternoon our FFA student's treated our faculty to an ice cream bar to show our appreciation for all our faculty and staff do at Kennard-Dale. I love that  Ms. Smith sees the value in others and shares that with our students to allow our students to serve others.

Continuing through the day,Wednesday evening lead to an advisory board meeting. This was the first advisory board meeting that I have ever attended. From this meeting I gained the magnitude and importance the community has on our Kennard-Dale agricultural department. I liked that we met with our advisory board to discuss improvements that could be made to our program, as well as identifying needs that our community has of our agricultural students. Additionally, I found the it useful to use our community members as resources for information which can be very impactful to our program.


One other note to make. I compliment Ms. Smith for all she does each day. However, on Wednesday night she demonstrated the leadership that I feel an agriculture teacher should possess. Ms. Smith demonstrated to me the importance of sharing our love for agriculture and our dedication to agriculture, to our administration. If we as agriculture teachers want to make a difference I believe we have to be willing to make that impact and make the difference ourselves, and Ms. Smith does this each day!

I felt inspired meeting with individuals who have the same love of agriculture as myself and have the same trust for our future agricultural generation in our students at Kennard-Dale.

We concluded our week with planting seeds and cutting in our greenhouse. I love being able to plant the seeds and eventually reap the benefits of a beautiful flower in a couple of weeks. My desire after this week, as every week is that I am planting a seed here at Kennard-Dale and in some way making a difference for beautiful growth in the future.

~Ms. Timmons

"It's my job to help all my students belong...This means part of my job is to educate the wider community about the needs of a child who may be perceived as 'different' to help them become embraced as part of the community." - Gayle Hernandez



No comments:

Post a Comment