About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, March 18, 2016

All the Journey's of FFA

Last Sunday, Ms. Smith and I loaded up 7 of our students and headed to Harrisburg of the State Legislative Leadership Conference (SLLC). I have only attend once, and that was as a facilitator last year. So this year was a new adventure with Ms. Smith and our students.

I enjoy the overall purpose of SLLC and how it really teaches our students to have a say in the legislation that occurs within our community and state. At this conference each of our students were given a 'bill' that they were going to describe and place on the house or senate floor for debate. Our students enjoyed this process in which they got to take a stand and fight for something that was of relevance to them.

One of our students discussed the accessibility of hunting in handicap equipment. Another student talked about wind turbines and the acreage required for them to operate on.

On of my students and I's favorite parts of SLLC was community service on Monday. Ms. Smith and I took our students to the Hershey Gardens and we were able to serve the community through clearing off an embankment. The embankment that we cleaned off will be covered with a beautiful grass allowing for a beautiful environment to add to the gardens. I was proud of my students for their willingness and commitment to serve others through this activity. I was proud of my students for taking time to not think about themselves and their needs for a few hours, and instead help others. This was a great day for bonding and serving.

Additionally, on Tuesday Ms. Smith, myself and our students got to meet with our local representatives for breakfast as well as we visited our representative at the Capital. This was great for our students to become acquainted with the individuals who speak and represent us. I enjoyed being able to have conversations with these two individuals as well as know that they are here for us. And they are trying to create a better environment for our future generations. I know our students enjoyed just being able to make a connection with our representatives have them hear our voices for a few hours.

Also while at the Capital, we received a tour of the building and got to see where all decisions are made within the capital building at Harrisburg. This was fun for myself as well as our students because our students usually do not leave Fawn Grove, so this was an eye opening opportunity for them to become involved in a greater community.

I always enjoy going on FFA trips with Ms. Smith and our students. I love the extra time outside of class that I am able to spend with our students as well as with Ms. Smith. All the time we spend together makes me feel more at home at Kennard-Dale and with our students and Ms. Smith. I am so thankful for each day and for all the memories I am making.

~Ms. Timmons
"Each day is an opportunity to grow. Each day is an opportunity to touch a life. Each day is a blessing."

No comments:

Post a Comment