About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Mid-Winter Convention at the 100th PA Farm Show

Time really does fly by!

Not only was today a mark in time for the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg, it was also my very first day of my student teaching experience, and let me tell you, it was a great day! Today I had the great opportunity of visiting the PA Farm Show with my cooperating school. Ms. Smith and I were grateful to attend the farm show with 20 of our agricultural students.

The PA Farm show is the largest indoor agricultural exposition. So of course as a farm girl, a lover of agriculture and now an agricultural teacher, this is an exciting event for me to attend. Today the farm show hosted the FFA Mid-Winter Convention. During this time, FFA students are awarded for their achievements and accomplishments.

One of the rewards that FFA members are able to receive during this time are the blue corduroy FFA jackets. This is an honor to receive as allows members to become part of a legacy.

Today Ms. Smith and I had 5 students receive their FFA jackets. This was an honor for me to witness and be a part of. I was moved by the dedication and commitment my students were making to their future, our FFA chapter, and to others. I feel blessed to be able to impact these five students as they become active members in our FFA chapter. I am so excited for the many opportunities these students will have as they proudly wear their blue jackets. Each one of these students are very deserving of the one and only blue FFA jacket.

In addition to receiving FFA jackets, members also if eligible are able to receive their Keystone degree at Mid-Winter Convention. The Keystone degree is a symbol of the great accomplishments service, and dedication FFA members have given through their service in the FFA.

Today, Ms. Smith and I had two seniors earn their Keystone degree. These two students are both officers within our FFA chapter and their willingness and commitment to our chapter is unwavering. I am so proud of Brooke and Josh for their hard work. They spend countless hours working to ensure our FFA chapter is active and impactful throughout our community. Brooke and Josh also excel in their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) as they make strives to apply the knowledge they are learning in their agriculture class to their real life experiences. They received this award with great honor!



Today was filled with joy! I think spending the day with Ms. Smith and a few of our students gave me a greater appreciation for the tremendous opportunity I have at Kennard Dale. Today, as I saw 5 students make a commitment to serving their FFA chapter, I was reminded of my commitment I am making to myself as I become an agriculture teacher and to my students at Kennard Dale as I will serve them and positively impact their educational career. I was also inspired by Brooke and Josh as I witnessed them receiving their Keystone degree. They demonstrated their hard work and dedication, which reinforced to me that I will need to work hard these next few weeks, but in the end the rewards I will receive from this student teaching experience will be greater than any degree could offer.

Ms. Timmons

"Great leaders do not desire to lead but to serve." -Myles Munroe

3 comments:

  1. Well written Jenna. I, too, am excited for you to go forth and make an impact on these students lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Rice! I couldn't do it without you!

      Delete
  2. An interesting conversation with Ms. Smith might be how we can help these Keystone Degree recipients set goal and a plan to achieve their American FFA Degree.

    DF

    ReplyDelete