About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Friday, January 22, 2016

I love teaching...so far!

This week, was my first week teaching one of my classes at Kennard-Dale. The week began with a staff development day on Monday. This was fun for me to continue to interact with my colleagues in the building. We participated in a Ed Camp, which I thoroughly enjoyed! I believe this is a great way to make professional development fun and beneficial for each specific teachers needs. I learned how to properly write press releases which I will use to promote our FFA chapter events and accomplishments. In addition, Ms. Smith and I attended a workshop on effective classroom instruction, which was great for me to see how other teachers ensure their class runs efficiently and productively.

Finally, Tuesday rolled around and I was able to have my first day of actual teaching. This week I began teaching Ms. Smith and I's ninth period Horticulture II class. This class is fun, energetic, and...small. There are 4 students in this class (3 boys and 1 girl)! Having four students in a class is a great way to start teaching. I felt very comfortable teaching to a small group of students I feel I know well. However, on the first day of class, I only had two students. And my lesson plan for that day went right out the window. Actually, it really was not that bad, I just had to rearrange some materials and activities I had planned.

As the week progressed, all my students were in class and we were back on track and running smoothly again. All is well in Horticulture II. Looking ahead this week coming up my students will get to practice their floriculture skills through constructing a candy arrangement.

This week I had the opportunity to attend our monthly school board meeting with Ms. Smith and 5 of our FFA officers. Our officers got to share their gratitude and appreciation for all the events that the school board allows us to attend. To show our appreciation, we wanted to give the school board members an overview of how the events and activities we participate in our growing our program and our students as individuals. I know Ms. Smith and I both were proud of our students and for the accomplishments that we have and are able to continue throughout our program.

Next week will be a great week. I will continue teaching Horticulture II however, I will also begin to teach animal care and management which is a course taught two periods each day. I am looking forward to more time in front of the classroom and growing as a teacher.

~Ms. Timmons

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Jenna,

    Thank you for sharing. Great job of showing flexibility on how to use your lesson plan.

    I encourage you to include photos in your blog post when possible. I saw you tweeted an awesome photo of your students at the school board meeting! Use a photo editing software to just blurr the faces a little bit of the students so that they are not "identifiable" unless Ms. Smith says the school collected blanket photo wavier forms

    Keep doing good work. I am very excited to visit February 2nd!

    DF

    ReplyDelete