About Me

My photo
A farmer's daughter living the dream of becoming an Agricultural Educator. I am studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State University. I have passions in Horticulture and Floral design. I am thoroughly excited to share my passions and 'homegrown' agricultural experiences with others.

Monday, November 9, 2015

I almost did NOT TeachAg!

In less than 4 weeks I will be completing my academic career at The Pennsylvania State University. In 4 weeks I will be off to conclude my college career as I student teach at Kennard Dale High School in York county and as I praise the good Lord I will walk across the stage to receive a Bachelors of Science degree in May.


 
But all of this almost did not happen...

 
You see, if you would have asked the little Jenna in elementary school what she wanted to do when she grew up she would have said, "I want to be a teacher." I always knew that.
 
I used to play school with my 'imaginary students' sitting on my living room floor, and I got pretty good at the handing out papers process.
My poor sister got extra tutoring even if she didn't need or want it, I was practicing my teacher skills.

I always wanted to teach! But what would I teach? I'm not drawn to specific subjects such as Math, English, and heaven knows definitely not History.
 
So why not teach what I know, what I love, what I live.
 
See, growing up on a farm is a great blessing. I was my Daddy's side kick. I followed him everywhere. From him, I learned how to milk cows, feed baby calves, drive tractors, bale hay, load a tractor trailer load of hay or straw, how to pick rocks out of the field (not fun), how to jump in the big truck and haul up through the gears, and so much more. I've learned so much just from my 21 years of life on the farm with my Dad. And I love it all!
 
So it only made sense to teach what I know, what I live, and what I love. I need to teach Agriculture!
 
I entered college right after high school with a major in Agricultural Extension and Education. I attended Penn State Mont Alto for 2 years to complete my general education credits and I thank the good Lord I did, because that is where the love of my life, Richie, found me (and we live happily ever after).

 
So after 2 years at Mont Alto I transitioned to University Park to dive into Agricultural Education.
 
But, I couldn't do it! I could not go any further in Ag Ed.
 
I didn't even make it through the first semester, not even the first week of classes, and I wanted out! I needed to change my major. But why? Agriculture is what I love, what I know, what I live.
 
I was afraid. I doubted myself and my abilities. Honestly, the biggest fear I had was student teaching. The thought of student teaching terrified me!! There was no way I would be prepared to student teach at the end of all this, no way at all! I do not know half of anything about animals, and mechanics. Plants ehhh, I like. But there was no way I could continue in Ag Ed and feel confident in my ability to be an effective Ag teacher. What if I didn't get a long well with my cooperating teacher? What if I just could not teach? What if I don't know the material that I am expected to teach? All of these 'what if's ran through my head constantly".
 
So, I took the easy way out, and I changed my major. I began to study Agricultural Sciences with a dual minor in Agribusiness and Agronomy. I could take a office job, that would be okay, I guess.
 
When I would call Richie and talk to him about my fears, all he would say to me is "You are GOING to be a great teacher!" That's not what I wanted to hear, I wanted to get out of Ag Ed not be encouraged.  My Mom would send me cards and call to tell me she is praying that I will make the right decision and follow Gods will. I did not want to hear that either. I didn't want to think about what was right or what talents God has blessed me with.

No, I had to run from my fears, I had to get out of Agricultural Education.
 
So for the entire 2014 Fall semester (one year ago) I was enrolled as an Ag Science student, not Ag Education. Friends, every single day I thought about teaching Agriculture. Every dang day!!!!! The desire of teaching Agriculture never left my heart! And of course I still saw my Ag Ed professors and they constantly told me I could be an awesome Ag teacher. But I couldn't do it!
 
Every dang day, it was on my mind! Every day it was on my heart!
 
But I made it to Christmas break. I went home to my families and was wrapped in such love and support (I love being home) I felt good, I felt confident.
 
I came back to PSU from Christmas break, and went to my first class. In that class I introduced myself "Jenna Timmons, a  Junior majoring in Agricultural Sciences" I actually had to write that down because in my head I said Agricultural EDUCATION.

By the next class period that day, I had changed my major back to Agricultural Extension and Education. I had not one fear, not one thought of 'what in the world did I just do?" instead I felt good! I knew I made the right decision. I knew somehow I would make it through the next two semesters and I would then make it through student teaching as well. I knew in my heart I was doing what God has blessed me with the abilities to do and He would make a way for me.
 

So here I am now, about to go student teach at Kennard Dale. Let me just say, if there was a perfect school for me to teach at, it would be Kennard Dale. If there was a perfect cooperating teacher for me to teacher with, it would be Abby Smith. So it doesn't get any more perfect than this!


After every day Agricultural education classes at 8 a.m., endless conferences, multiple workshops that I have facilitated, many teaching opportunities, endless lesson plans that I have created, and so so so much more...I am ready to go student teach!

The excitement I have to student teach is beyond measures. I am so excited to be able to teach my students at Kennard Dale. After spending a week at National FFA Convention with them, Abby and I call them 'our' students. And there is nothing more welcoming than already having your own group of kids.

I am beyond ready to go! Student teaching means the end is in sight and my golly, I am so ready to cross the finish line. I am so so ready to achieve this goal. I am so ready to accomplish my dreams. I am so ready to be the best Agricultural educator that I can possibly be. I am so ready to share my gifts and my stories (oh yes), and my talents with my students.

Further more, I am excited to not have to leave my family on Sundays to come to school anymore. Lastly, I am excited to marry my best friend and start our life together.

And student teaching will be the beginning of all my accomplishments.

 
So are my fears of student teaching gone? -Definitely!

Am I prepared and ready to go?
Oh my Lord, no! I have a million lesson plans to write and I already did half a million (I'm just kidding). I only have a few more lesson plans to finish by December. But I am confident in my ability and my skills as an educator. I know in my heart that this is what I was meant to do, I know that this is where I was meant to student teach and begin my career!

Do I know everything about Agricultural Education?
Heck NO! But I am learning and growing. I have realized that I will not (ever) know everything, and that is okay with me. However, my knowledge in animal science has grown and I am actually (as crazy as this is for me) most excited about teaching my animal care and management classes. I am growing in my ability to create engaging lessons while teaching with purpose. I am learning to be an effective powerful Agriculture teacher.

Now, I know there will be tough days in Ag Ed. Days where my lesson is horrific and it just all falls to pieces. I know there will be days when I fall to pieces and cry just because. But I know that it's all going to be okay, I will make it. I will cross the finish line. I will succeed in Agricultural Education.

I once was terrified of this career. I let this fear control me. I let the fear of 'what if's' take over. And I almost let fear take my dreams. So friends, take the challenge, take the risk, take control of your dreams, and chase them!

Love,
Ms. Jenna Timmons

"Peace is not the absence of trouble; peace is the presence of God in any situation. Circumstances don't have to be perfect for you to walk and live in His perfect peace!" -Victoria Osteen"
 

5 comments:

  1. Jenna! This was such a good blog for me to read at this point! It is just so reassuring that we can do this! You are going to make a great AG teacher! You have the personality, and hard working attitude that will make student teaching, and teaching so much fun for both you and the students! I am really glad that you decided to switch back to Ag. Education, im not sure what I would do without you in my cohort to talk to and to lean on for help, and just someone to vent too, and I thank you for that!

    Keep being awesome,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, your friendship means so much to me! I would be lost without and I am thankful to have you to lean on and to vent to as well! You are growing into a great Ag teacher yourself, and I am so proud of you for all that you do! We will get through this together and soon we will be all done!! Yay!

      Thank you for your kind words, they mean so much! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so so good. I just really like your heart and your passion and your drive. I cannot wait to see what the good Lord has in store for you in the next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words Janae, they mean so much!! I am so thankful for your friendship and for the joys we are sharing on this journey together. Also I love having a dear friend to plan our (not soon enough) weddings with :))
      Much love to you friend!

      Delete
  3. I really appreciate you being authentic, awesome, and open.

    You WILL be a positive influence on the lives of students!

    We ALL are working every day to get better!

    #PennStateProud

    ReplyDelete